Find us @


Brother of ex-NFL CB Aqib Talib turns himself in, faces felony 1st-degree murder charge

The former NFL corner had his younger brother in law turn himself in Monday with a first-degree murder charge.



After a warrant was issued for his arrest in connection with the murder of a former college football player at a youth football game, the brother of former NFL cornerback Aqib Talib turned himself in at the Dallas County Jail on Monday.

According to a press release issued by the Lancaster (Texas) Police Department on Monday, Yaqub Salik Talib, 39, turned himself in after being identified as the alleged shooter in the incident, which took place Saturday after an altercation. First-degree murder charges were brought against Talib.

Michael Hickmon, a 43-year-old Lancaster resident and former fullback for the University of North Texas, was identified by police as the victim. Hickmon was a coach for the D.E.A. Dragons, one of the teams on the field at the time of the fight.

Everything you need to know about today’s top sports events, from NFL games to college sports scores.



Hard Knocks validates Dan Campbell’s legitimacy as the head coach of the Detroit Lions.

According to investigators, the shooting occurred in Lancaster’s Community Park. When police arrived, they were told by witnesses that tensions between the two teams’ coaching staffs had flared as a result of a decision made by the officials. According to the police report, the confrontation escalated to the point of violence, at which point the suspect brandished a firearm and shot Hickmon several times.

According to the police, the suspect drove away from the scene while carrying the weapon.

In accordance with the announcement, Hickmon was taken to Methodist Central Hospital on Saturday evening, where he was subsequently declared dead. So far, there have been no additional injuries reported.

The police have confirmed the presence of numerous witnesses, including children, and have stated that they are continuing to look into the incident.


We saw one of our coaches laying down on the ground right there,” Dragons team president Mike Freeman said to WFAA. “It was arduous. Way more than just a trainer. Exceptional dad, hero, role model, and guide.”

WFAA reports that both Yaqub and Aqib Talib were coaching the opposing North Dallas United Bobcats during the incident.

According to Freeman’s interview with WFAA, Hickmon’s son, who is 9 years old, was playing on the field at the time of the shooting.

As Freeman put it, “just letting him know that we’ll be there for him,” “I held his son, Little Mike Jr., and I held him like my son, and it was very, very, very hard to hold him and console him.”

Hickmon, who played for the Mean Green from 1999 to 2002, was selected as a first-team fullback when the program’s all-time team was announced in 2006.


More than 15 miles south of Dallas is the suburb of Lancaster.

From 2008 to 2019, Aqib Talib spent 12 seasons in the NFL with four different teams: the Los Angeles Rams, Denver Broncos, Denver Patriots, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was selected to the Pro Bowl five times and to the All-Pro team once. He played for the 2016 Broncos team that went on to win Super Bowl 50 against the Carolina Panthers.

A 2008 story posted to the official website of the Buccaneers that recounts Aqib Talib’s path toward becoming a first-round draft pick identifies Yaqub as Aqib’s older brother.

The name Aqib Talib was omitted from the Lancaster Police Department’s official statement.

After a report of a disturbance at a nightclub in Dallas, Texas, in June 2014, police arrested Yaqub Talib on charges of public intoxication. Initially, the police mistook Aqib Talib for Yaqub Talib, and they issued a press release about the arrest of the wrong man. Eventually, Dallas police acknowledged their error and extended apologies to the community.


Associated Press was responsible for the inclusion of this information.

The following article was published in USA TODAY: Aqib Talib’s brother has turned himself in and is being charged with first-degree murder.